Mahmood Shafi MB BCh, MD, DA, FRCOG, MBA
Mahmood Shafi qualified in Medicine from the University of Wales, Cardiff in 1981. The majority of his specialist training was undertaken in Birmingham. Having gained accreditation in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, he then went on to specialise in Gynaecological Oncology.
Mr Shafi then was appointed as a Senior Lecturer/Consultant in Birmingham where he was made Director of Gynaecology Services and served on the Executive Board of the Hospital. He was given the Chairman’s and Health Authority Awards in 1998 in recognition of the colposcopy services that he developed at the Birmingham Women’s Hospital.
In 2004, he moved to Addenbrooke’s Hospital following his appointment as a Consultant at Cambridge University Hospitals. Again, he was made Director of Gynaecology services and Lead Surgeon for Gynaecological Oncology in 2006. Mr Shafi was awarded a National Silver Clinical Excellence Award in 2007. He is the only gynaecologist in Cambridge and the East of England Region to hold such an award, which is given to those doctors providing outstanding care that is recognised Nationally/Internationally. The award is judged on clinical skills, teaching skills and how well the doctor develops their service.
Mr Shafi was appointed as Medical Director for Nuffield Health in 2017. He gained his MBA in 2020 from Judge Business School, University of Cambridge having been awarded a scholarship.
Mr Shafi has continued to publish and has over 140 publications including peer-reviewed research articles, chapters, reviews and editorials. He has been awarded several research grants to pursue his area of interest in gynaecological cancers and how they may be prevented. Mr Shafi is currently on the Editorial Board of several medical journals. In view of his National/International expertise, he has lectured abroad extensively and has been invited to in excess of 25 countries to take part in academic meetings and workshops. He has also given several public lectures by invitation.
Mr Shafi has published many textbooks. These books are used by postgraduates and include texts that are essential reading within the profession. Some of the books are bestsellers in their area and have been awarded 5 stars in reviews, (Amazon website). These textbooks have proved so popular internationally that they have been translated into Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Greek and Chinese.
Nationally, Mr Shafi has chaired various committees at the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG). He was an elected member of the RCOG Council for six years and is an examiner for their postgraduate examination, the MRCOG. Mr Shafi is on the Advisory Committee that reports to the Department of Health on Cervical Screening, as well as being an expert advisor to National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE).
In addition to his national commitments, Mr Shafi is actively involved in local services. He was the Chair of the Medical Advisory Committee at the Cambridge Nuffield Health Hospital providing medical advice on all relevant issues for seven years until 2016. He has made a number of appearances on the British Broadcasting Company (BBC) radio and television as well as several national newspapers and magazines (Daily Mail, The Mirror, Glamour, Bodyfit etc) for his expertise in gynaecological issues.
Mr Shafi was elected as President of the British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (BSCCP) in 2009 and continues to be actively involved in the society. In 2011 he developed and published the European Consensus Document on HPV Vaccination and Colposcopy. Mr Shafi is an advisor to Jo’s Cervical Cancer Trust Charity and develops National literature on a voluntary basis. Internationally, Mr Shafi has worked with many organisations, some of which are affiliated with the World Health Organisation, in relation to cancer prevention programmes.
- President, East Anglian Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society (EOAGS); 2014-17.
- British Medical Association (BMA) Medical Book Award 1st Prize for Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 2013 for Colposcopy - A practical guide, 2e.
- President, British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (BSCCP); 2009-2012.
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, CPD officer and Foundation Chair of Revalidation Committee; 2008-2012.
- British Society for Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology (BSCCP) International Travel Scholarships; 2006 and 2007.
- Good Practice and Clinical Innovation Award, Sandwell Health Authority; 1998.
- Chair of Subspecialty Committee, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; 1998-2001.
- Chairman’s Award, Birmingham Women’s Hospital; 1998.
- Elected to Council of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; 1995-2001.
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; Green-Armytage Travelling Scholarship to the USA, 1995.
- Lindsay-Park Memorial Medal for best presentation at scientific meeting; 1994.
- Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; Young MRCOG Award, 1990.
Selected textbooks written by Mr Shafi
- Gynaecological Oncology for the MRCOG, Cambridge University Press, 2017.
- Gynecologic and Obstetric Surgery: Challenges and Management Options, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, 2016.
- Gynaecology - prepare for the MRCOG, Elsevier Publishing, 2015.
- Clinical Gynecology, 2e, Cambridge University Press, 2015.
- Colposcopy – A practical guide, 2e, Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Best practice and research clinical obstetrics and gynaecology, colposcopy and cervical pathology, Elsevier, 2011.
- Gynaecological Oncology, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- The Cervix, Blackwell publishers, 2006.
- Colposcopy – A practical guide, Fivepin publishing, 2006.
- Handbook of colposcopy, 2e, Arnold publishers, 2002.
- Handbook of gynaecological oncology, Harcourt Brace publishers, 2001.
- Handbook of colposcopy, Chapman and Hall, 1996.